Sunday, August 17, 2008

Eli Clark Neslen

Here's our new little angel.



Eli Clark Neslen


August 11, 2008


7:32 am


8 pounds, 7 ounces


20 1/2 inches


So, we had a baby! Monday morning surgery, just like we scheduled! We actually thought we might be going early after I had contractions all evening and night on Saturday night. Also Sunday morning. I skipped church, hoping to keep this baby inside for another day, and it seemed to work. Contractions slowed way down Sunday afternoon. That night I woke up at about 2 am with HARD contractions 2-3 minutes apart, and decided it was time to go to the hospital. We got up and showered and packed and were checked into labor and delivery by 3:30 in the morning. Only two hours earlier than we were supposed to be there anyway. Contractions slowed down once we got all hooked up to monitors though. Doesn't that always happen? I swear they were real! It hurt so bad I threw up! Anyway, surgery by 7:00, baby by 7:32. Yay!

I have a tradition of writing a letter to my new baby soon after they are born. Here's an excerpt from my letter to Eli:

The surgery went very well. I was awake and alert for the whole c-section, and Cannon was there for the whole thing. Dr. Starr had estimated your weight to be 9 1/2 pounds, but had difficulty estimating because of the amount of extra amniotic fluid I was carrying. He was wrong by over a pound! during the surgery, Dr. Hess (the anaesthesiologist) said, "Wow, I haven't seen that many waters in -- years!" We made quite a mess in the OR. As soon as you were
out I heard you crying. Then they brought you to rest on my chest where I could hold before you even had a bath. You were the first of all my babies that I was able to hold immediately after delivery! I loved it!!

You are my fifth baby, and many things about my pregnancy and delivery were "old hat" to me. I knew what to expect almost every step of the way with you. But I was not considering nor expecting the feelings I had when I first heard your cries. My heart jumped when I heard you and I was so amazed and awed that I had just given birth to another human being! When they laid you on my chest I thought my heart would burst with joy and gratitude! In an instant all of the pain and difficulties of the last nine months had vanished, and I knew that one of the most incredible, amazing, miraculous, and life-changing moments had just
occurred to me.

I spent the next three days in the hospital recuperating. Oh, I hurt. But really, that time was spent just revelling in the newness and excitement that you brought. We had many visitors and a lot of help from the nurses, but it felt like it was just you, me, and your daddy just being together. It was heavenly.


Cannon still dressed in his scrubs. Eli still testing out his lungs!


My sister, Andrea stayed with the other kids while we were in the hospital. She brought the gang over for a peek at their new brother. Tanner refused the hospital gown, but I think they were adorable.

Me. With a NEW, adorable baby!

My NEW, adorable baby!

This is us leaving the hospital after three days and three (and a half) nights.

25 comments:

Rynell said...

I am so happy for you! Eli is adorable--OF COURSE. He looks absolutely perfect. I hope your recovery goes well. What a sweet, sweet baby boy. (Maybe we should arrange a betrothal or something...ya know to unite/confuse our familial relations even more.) :)

Congratulations!

Suebee said...

Beautiful baby and you and Cannon look the same as you did when the first two were born. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

congratulations, valerie and fam! He is beautiful.

welcome to the world, eli!

Brian and Kim said...

Absolutely bEaUtiful!!! Congratulations, we are so excited for you and your family.

Twinlinebackers said...

Congratulations Valerie! Seriously, most babies aren't cute the first week but he is absolutely gorgeous. You look great too! Looks like you're recovering well. Give yourself 6 months to feel back up to par though. Your family is so cute. You're doing a wonderful job of making babies. =)

Jackie said...

Congrats Valerie! He is adorable! I'm sure you'll have many more- you and Cannon can handle it. You run your household so great! Spence and I were always jealous of that. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Loved the letter. I wish I would've done that for my kids..

Emma Jo said...

I am so excited for you guys and what a beautiful letter! Congratulations on another adorable baby Neslen!!

Hansen Family said...

Yeah!!! I am so excited for you guys and glad everything went so well! He is adorable! Love you guys! Good work Val!!

Heather

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

I know your own mommy is rejoicing in heaven over the beautiful boy she helped send your way. Congratulations! No sleep for you for thirty more years:(,,,,but you will be blessed with the energy needed! We love you and your family.

Amber said...

Congrats, Valerie and Cannon! He is a very cute baby!!

Ashley said...

Oh Val-- We are so happy for you and Cannon. You look beautiful in your pictures. Baby Eli is perfect. Loved your letter to him. Congratulations! The kids in their gowns look great. Happy adjusting!!!!

Laura said...

Valerie, you are amazing and Eli is so adorable. Congratulations to you and Cannon and your wonderful family. Boyd told me he talked to Cannon the Wednesday after Eli was born. He said, "I know everything but his name. I didn't even think to ask that!" Oh well, now I know. Loved the letter idea too. Something your kids will cherish. Maybe we'll see you all at Peach Days again. That would be fun!

Melissa said...

I don't even have words to express how happy I am for all of you! Eli is so sweet and cute and I wish I could hold him right now! Did he have a little jaundice or maybe the lights in the room were yellow. You're looking great already and I bet you're loving not being uncomfortable anymore and no sleep!! I love you and wish I could be there!

Emily said...

Congratulations! I've been checking your blog frequently because I've been eager to learn all about your new little babe. He is adorable! I love his chubby little cheeks. I loved your letter as well. I love how time seems to stop when you hold that brand new baby in your arms and all those feelings of awe just rush in. I also love being in the hospital with just my husband and my baby. Congrats! He's beautiful!

Tara said...

Congratulations!! He is so precious! You have a very sweet family!! We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous baby!
Thanks for sharing the pictures (and also the precious feelings you experienced at his birth). The pictures are beautiful of all of you. We are glad things went well and hope you recouperate wonderfully~just take your time.
Lots of love,
Darla and Darrell

Wendy said...

Congratulations Val and Cannon! Cute, cute baby and family. Love, Eric & Wendy

Idaho Bushmans said...

What a beautiful letter you wrote and what a beautiful baby. Hope you are feeling better.

Alona said...

Valerie! Congratulations! Eli is so cute - all of your kids are. Your letter was so sweet! It's such a fantastic idea! I hope all is well with recovery! Eli and Adam almost have the same birthday - a day apart (and about 19 years)! :)

JulieKGardner said...

Dear Valerie,

He's beautiful! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your thoughts. It brings back a lot of wonderful memories now that my babies are 9, 11, 13, 16, & 18.

Blessings!

Julie

Heather said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you! Eli is a cute little guy! I'm glad you are both home and healthy!

Liz said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful! I'm so happy for all of you. How far away do you live from us? We'd love to see you. Congrats!!!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! you have such a cute family. Can't wait for more pictures.

Mandee said...

Congratulations! He is adorable!!!

crack'n up ourselves said...

Wow! Five kids! You look glowingly beautiful.