Thursday, March 6, 2008

I LOOOOVE BIRTHDAYS!!!!

8 is great!

Okay, now I totally remember how exciting things can be when you're a kid. The anticipation of . . . say, a birthday. Do you remember? My husband and sister put together a fun "Bowlympics" party for my leap year birthday and we had about 30 people come. The hour before the party, I actually had butterflies in my stomach! (That may just have been because I couldn't figure out if I should wear "regular" clothes, in which I look a little fat, or maternity clothes, in which I look a lot fat, but have a good reason to expect some understanding.)

So, for "Bowlympics" we used our own scorecards instead of the bowling alley's computers. Here's what they looked like:




There were prizes (bowling pin trophies) for each category, as well as for best overall. It was really funny to look down the row at the lanes who were in our party to see all the funny approaches and sound effects ("hut-hut-hike!") which weren't what you would expect to see at the bowling alley. Andrea, the inventor of "Bowlympics" came and whispered in my ear after the first few frames seemed to go well, "Valerie, I'm so glad you have fun friends. I was worried no one would want to do this!" In fact, I think most people got a kick out of letting go and being silly for a little while. Then for the second game, we bowled a regular game and saw who the "real" bowlers were.
Cannon is doing the "hut-hut-hike"


Valerie with "no approach" (also "no pins!")


Yummy German chocolate/Reese's Pieces birthday cake!



Then, we had another celebration with my cute kids. Jackson and Jordan usually don't get birthday cake since they can't eat gluten, so I had a gluten-free vanilla cake with coconut frosting.

Happy Birthday!

Sydney


I think this is Jordan's and Jackson's way of saying,
"love the cake, mom. oh, and happy birthday."

6 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday! I thought about you all day. I may have to steal the Bowlympics idea. It looks like a blast!

Jen-ben said...

Happy Birthday too!!! I love bowling!!

Hansen Family said...

What cute kids!!! I can't believe you are what, 8 years old. Happy B-Day and looks like you had a great party!!

Alona said...

What a fun bowling idea! We might have to borrow it for our next bowling extravaganza! Oh, and happy birthday! I was thinking about you . . . sorry I didn't call or anything!:{ Your kids are so cute!

Rynell said...

I've been waiting for your birthday recap! Sounds like it was a great one -- I am so glad you finally turned 8.

kirsten said...

sorry so late - i forgot to leave a comment! lame.

anyway, that sounds like a way fun party - and very 'clark-y' - in the very best way.