Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Soccer Mom

Not sure I deserve the title, because, honestly, I'm a grouch when I have to get everybody ready for soccer games Saturday mornings. Find all the shirts, shin guards, cleats, and water bottles. Then get everyone IN the car, to the field on time. Lug all the water bottles, snacks and folding chairs, keep Tanner off the field and away from everyone else's balls, water bottles and snacks. Watch the game - with interest, of course. Gather everyone up, along with said water bottles, snacks, and folding chairs, to get the the NEXT game on time, and repeat the whole thing. Keeping a toddler happy the whole time. I love soccer - but not all the STUFF involved in getting there and back!

We had a great season, though. This was season #2 for the twins. They have improved leaps and bounds! Last year, the goal was to keep them AWARE of where the ball was, and maybe kick it once or twice in the game. We were lucky if they kicked it in the right direction. By the beginning of this season, they at least understood the whole "our team needs to score in that goal" concept, but how to do that was beyond them. Their coach put them on defense as full backs and showed them where to stand, then they stood in the same place all game and watched it pass them by! By the end of the season, they had figured out when and how to move around the field while still defending the goal. They were getting pretty agressive and paid attention the whole game. It was so fun! I loved watching them get excited when the ball came to their side of the field. They would jump up and down as it came closer. Loved it! Check this out. Jordan in number 11, Jackson is 5. They are wearing black shorts, and you can identify them by the jumping and windmills arms. Their grandma is cheering them on.



Sydney played her first season. They played 3 on 3 with no goalie. She's a little athlete! She jumped right in a scored three goals her first game! She was fast (at least the first half) and pretty agressive. She had a ton of fun, mostly.


I think her favorite part was watering the grass with her water bottle.


Well, who doesn't love the water bottles and snacks when you play soccer?



11 comments:

Suebee said...

Love the warm clothes under the soccer clothes. Cute little soccer players and I love the fruit sculpture.

Brian and Kim said...

I love it! I love watching the kids get "skill" ;) That's so great that they love to play. It'll all be worth it someday, right!?

Jackie said...

You made me worn out just by reading that! LOL I can't imagine going through that being pregnant. :-)

Rynell said...

I've just had one in soccer this season, and that was tough. We had practice once a week and games twice a week. Sometimes I think soccer is more of a workout for moms.

Mandee said...

I will officially take on that title this summer! We have Madelyn signed up for the summer league. The only thing I have going for me is that I only have to worry about one person, otherwise I just might skip soccer!

Emily said...

You are so good to stick it out. We quit after one season. Your kids are adorable. How fun that they are "getting" it and enjoying it.

Liz said...

Ahhh so cute! I can't wait to be a "soccer" mom. It's looks like you all had a lot of fun. You're a trooper. :-)

Melissa said...

Gosh I miss you guys so much! I've missed some of the funnest days with you, Cannon, and the sweet kids. I owe you an apology because I thought about Tanner ALL day on his b-day but never called and then went out of town and then forgot to call. I'm still gonna call though :) Tell the kids they are amazing and especially at soccer and being chameleons and to Tanner for being such a great talker! I can't wait to see you pregnant soon! Love you so much!

Angie said...

You might not remember me, but we were friends back in Charleston. I found your blog through Mandee's. Your twins are getting so big. I can't believe how time goes by so fast. I really enjoy blogs and finding old friends.

Alona said...

What cute little soccer players. You're a trooper!

Twinlinebackers said...

Can you believe a world so small? My blog is public so come find me. Great to see all your kids. Congrats on #5!