Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Need Help

Ha ha. Okay, nice title. I ALWAYS need help! But I'm going for something specific here. I am planning the Clark reunion in August, and I need ideas! In my family, there are many, shall we say, smarties? Smart alecks! Ha ha. And they always have good ideas. I'm hoping to avoid being known as the "lame ideas" sibling. What am I saying? I am probably ALREADY known thus, but I going to try to shake this up a bit.


So. I need a theme. My cute sister gave me a great theme: What's the Scoop? Get it? Double meaning, lots of ways to build on this. It's a good theme. Maybe this is the one I'll use. But I gotta shop around a little, and my lame brain (or should I say, mommy brain?!) isn't generating any competition. So help me out. Give me some ideas.


Here are a few details. This is my parents' family. Dad, Nancy, eight siblings, and twenty-something grandkids ranging in age from 11 months to 19 years. Wait. Actually the youngest will be -3 months. Owen Brent will be born sometime in Oct/Nov. Anyway. We're staying in cabins at Carter Creek in the Uintas. We will spend 3 nights there. There are hikes, nature trails, horseshoes, volleyball, a playground, and ATV trails. Sounds fun,eh? So give me a theme. Or a few. And fun things to do, if you have any terrific ideas.


Here is a picture of that cute sister I mentioned. And her handsome husband. Andrea and Matt. And please look at Andrea's blog to see some other inspiring pictures of our family.

12 comments:

kirsten said...

Hold up -
Mallory is NINETEEN??!?!?!

no. way.


sorry, i'm of no help. we don't have enough family/grandkids to have reunions yet. So far we just go out to eat all together at yummy restaurants and play DDR or singstar. Or soccer.

gina said...

The scoop theme is fun! You could -have contests where teams have to "get the scoop" or "out-scoop" each other. Homemade ice cream scoops-

I'll keep thinking and send 'em over!


P.S. Tanner was darling! We loved it and laughed the entire time with the squirting!

I noted your reading a novel because I was thrilled that you were able to. I'm sure it doesn't happen enough- time to just sit and read without everyone needing you and pulling on you.

Liz said...

I'm sure your family will think of a lot of fun things. Mountains are fun just to be in.

We had a family reunion and created some really cute t-shirts that cost $3-4 a piece. That was fun for all of us. :-)

Rynell said...

Ok, I completely outdo you on the "lame ideas" sibling. Seriously. I put on the reunion last year and simply called it "Fun & Games." One thing did turn out to be entertaining though. Every person was given 2 index cards and told to write something weird/unusual on them that other family members might not know (the parents did this for the little kids and everyone else did their own). We had a little competition to see who knew the most weird anecdotes/facts about each other. When you're trying to stump your family it gets interesting, especially when they think they all know each other really well.

Also, my brother just put on a Fear Factor reunion. THAT was super awesome.

Alona said...

Love that picture! You guys will have tons to do just being at the cabin. That fear factor idea would be fun. I don't know if you watch the Amazing Race, but we did an FHE Amazing Race and it was super fun. It's sort of like a scavenger hunt with lots of cool activities!

Heidi said...

Along the lines of Fear Factor and Amazing Race, the LaPerle family had a Survivor theme a few years ago - while camping. All the games and activities were based on that. A Western theme is always fun as well. Last year it was the LaPerle Family Roundup with t-shirts and cowboy hats and bandanas for all. I'm sure your family is way more creative than we are. I'm in charge of it next year and it will be very LOW KEY! Good Luck! Whatever you do, you should incorporate a fun theme into our family reunion next year as well!

Jennifer said...

I was going to say Amazing Race as well. Wendy Bushman (Eric's wife) did and amazing race birthday party for one of her girls I bet she would have some ideas. You could do a spin on America's got Talent. Clarks got talent and then come up with different talent themes. We all know how talented your family is. My favorite is the amazing race theme though

Valerie said...

Wowie Zowie (Thanks, Rebecca. I can't stop saying that now!), nice ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Kirsten - I know. She's so old now! She's already finished a year of college. Makayla is joining her at BYU next year!

Rynell - Fear factor with the Andersens would really be something to watch! I think that some of your brothers have NO fear!

I'm thinking that the theme here is find a great show and use it! This is helping me. . .

Emma Jo said...

Sounds like fun...I have no ideas but I thoroughly enjoyed reading other people's. You do split up the meal assignments, right? I only have practical things running through my head but I rather like the sound of a trivia game and some kind of days-long scavenger/clue game that earns you points or something.

Matt & Andrea said...

I was going to leave some smart aleack remark about embarrassing your sister with silly photos, but I thought it would sound lame since I posted the same picture on my blog. Sigh.

kirsten said...

p.s. please take a shot of each family - i want to see which kids belong to whom!

p.p.s. we took dylan off of the gluten-free aspect of the diet - still being super strict on dairy- it's been about a month and he's doing great. we are optimistic.

gina said...

Hi hey love love love sending your way... happy pioneer day love love and fireworks... miss you miss you hugs and kisses see you soon hopefully.