Thursday, July 10, 2008

Big Baby

I'm not sure if this title refers to me or to the little alien squishing my lungs, but it could be either. Ultrasound last week (at 33 weeks) showed a HUGE baby!! Already over 6 pounds, with seven weeks to go. Oh, mama. And I just compain all day now. I hurt. This baby better be worth it. (I'm going to write all about my dislike of pregnancy in my journal just so I can show him in ten years. Then he can see how much I really love him - even before I knew his name.)

A very good chiropractor just moved into our ward and just around the corner from our house. Turns out, chiropractors can REALLY help! I have always had back problems and I have always had trust issues when it comes to chiropractors (long story). But now I'm a believer! And I'm a believer in maternity belts (they do enough to stop silly, unwanted contractions for me), and I'm a believer in small babies, born one at a time. (You can see I've already forgotten, somewhat, the horrible morning sickness and bedrest that comes at the beginning of the pregnancy.)

Anyway, the doctor did tests checking to see that my blood sugar really has been low like I've been claiming (I have gestational diabetes and have to check my blood sugar after meals). High blood sugar could be the cause of the size of my baby and the cute fat rolls we saw on his neck, but it looks like I have had sugar levels under control. Now he says maybe this is just a big baby and his growth will level out before his birth! Oh, I hope so. We have a c-section scheduled for Aug 15. (It's wonderful to have a set date -- it makes me feel so much better to know what's coming and when.)

The old ladies at church shake their heads when they see me and tell me I look like I'm going to pop. The younger ladies tell me I look cute pregnant (what does that mean??? I say that to people too, and I don't even know what it means.) What I think is this -- I can't wait to have a newborn that keeps me up all night. That's probably the reason Heavenly Father makes my pregnancies miserable; so I love, love, love it when the baby is born!!!

p.s. This poor little boy still has no name!! I welcome suggestions, although I'm so contrary right now that I doubt I will like any of them. I'll probably have to wait to name him after he is born so that I'm happy that I'm not pregnant anymore!

9 comments:

Alona said...

I'm so excited to see what your new little one looks like. We'll all pray he doesn't get TOO much bigger! I don't have any name suggestions yet, but I'll be thinking!

Suebee said...

I remember when you were pregnant with the twins and told everyone that they couldn't see you that day because you only had one outfit that still fit and it wasn't attractive. Emily and I jumped in the car immediately and went to see. You were right, but I am sure that you have lots of cute things to wear now and are really cute pregnant.

April and JJ said...

Wait a second, is this baby number five? I'm confused. . . We need to visit you sometime when we drive through! Your kids are getting big,a nd are cute as ever! I'm glad you are huge with your pregnancy, b/c I am too! I'm 27 weeks, and I'm out there! You've got to love it, right?

Valerie said...

Susan, I have a vivid memory of you laughing through the window of my front door when you saw me in that ridiculous flower dress! I'm so glad that dress isn't in the house any more. What if I'm tempted to wear it again?! Already, I'm not sure I'll be able to go to church anymore. . .

April, congratulations!!!! That's wonderful news! And yes, it's hard to believe, but this is number 5. Our minivan will be full to overflowing. (This means 5 carseats now that Utah changed the carseat law.) I loved seeing your kids on your blog!!

Twinlinebackers said...

You're almost there. Hang in there ~ before you know it you'll have an adorable boy to hug and hold and kiss and love. My name suggestion is Patrick. hahaha! =)

Heather said...

We love big babies! Just not delivering them! I will pray he doesn't get too much bigger! I'm excited to meet this new little one!

Rynell said...

I make big babies too. The end is soooo uncomfortable. My babies did, however, weigh slightly less (about a pound less) at birth than the ultrasound estimates. Not that it helps any. My 3 all arrived around 36 weeks weighing 7 lbs 1 oz to 7 lbs 15 oz. I shudder when I think how big they could have gotten with an additional 4 or 5 weeks to grow. Gestational diabetes is a mean, mean thing in my opinion.

I'm still undecided on a name too.

Mandee said...

I wish I could have seen the flower dress! I wish I had some good advice for you but seeing as though I just "pick Up" my babies so to speak I don't have any words of wisdom. Did you ask the doctor what if his weight didn't even out??? I just remember watching Jackson being born (he was ten pounds) and thinking to myself that I was so glad I didn't have to go through that agony! Good Luck!

Emma Jo said...

Oh friend, I am so so so sorry. Big babies are a cruel trick. Good luck with your final weeks--how exciting!! My suggestions are Brigham or Billy Bob...no pressure.