Friday, February 22, 2008

Grown-up Wimpiness

Jordan has "show and teach" every now and then in his first grade classroom. He really digs it. It's probably the highlight of first grade, after pajama day. He's taught his class about seashells, submarines, and twins so far. What a blast! He practises at home so that his presentation is flawless. He loves getting up in front of everyone. I have been amazed at what a great job he does actually teaching about something. He must really pay attention to what teachers do.

Anyway, after President Hinckley passed away a few weeks ago, he decided he would teach about him next chance he got. When I explained to him that not everyone in his class believed that President Hinckly was a prophet, that didn't slow him down a bit. In fact, he decided he'd better change his topic to just teaching about the church. Cannon and I just listened to his ideas which we all forgot about until yesterday.

Jordan brought his note home saying that he was in charge of show and teach for Friday! Joy! Happy day! Jordan was so excited! When I asked him what he would teach about, his response was immediate: "The church!" Duh. He already told us that. I guess I wanted to be sure that it was his idea, and not mine. Why wouldn't I want to suggest such an idea?? Maybe because I'm a wimp and I worry about offending other people's first graders??

My husband and I exchanged glances, and he tried to talk Jordan into teaching about something else. Jordan was sure about his topic. Cannon and I tried to get each other to help Jordan (are we both wimps?) until finally Jordan sat down by himself with some paper and began to write out his presentation. He's so grown up.

He brought me his presentation, and I realized how wimpy I must be. Or maybe I just realized that Jordan is strong and true and not afraid of truth and right. He wrote about how we should keep the word of wisdom, and read the scriptures every night and go to church every Sunday. I told him that not everyone believes these things, so it might not be nice to tell them that they should do those things. He had such a sad expression as he looked up at me and said, "Should I say, 'can' instead?" I suggested that he tell people that these are things you should do if you do believe in our church.

He came back with revisions. Hi preface read, "If you believe me, here are the things you should do." What a little missionary!! So cute! We changed the "me" to "this church." He added a few more things, drew a beautiful "church" with angel Moroni at the top, and Jordan going inside.

He's so innocent and strong and so ready to choose the right. And he's right in wanting to share something he loves with his friends. Why is that so hard for me?? I know grown-ups are wimps, but hopefully I'll be able to learn from my kids. They're my best teachers.

Follow up: Jordan came to me last night and told me he knows what he wants to talk about at his next show and teach. "What?" I think, it can't be harder than the last one. "The Plan of Salvation," he says. Whoa. I tell him he can't teach that to 6- and 7-year olds. But I'm probably wrong. . . after all, he knows all about it!

4 comments:

Jen-ben said...

Valerie! I'm so glad you have a blog that I can read! Yay! I love this story! Isn't that always how it is...I always think I am so ready and willing then something like what Jordan wanted to do will surface and all of a sudden I am a total wimp.
Thanks for the reminder!!

Suebee said...

You have a blog, you have a blog I'm so excited you have a blog!!! You also have awesome children. I love children, they know what they believe and are totally unapologetic about their faith (the way we all should be). And after all, why should we apologize for our beliefs when this country was founded so that we can all worship the way we chose and the way we worship doesn't inflict harm on others. I will try harder to follow Jordan's example.

Emma Jo said...

What a sweet story...and what great kids you are raising! We could use good influences like them in the lives of our "ill-adjusted" children right now.
Keep on doing what you are doing!

Alona said...

That's so cute! What a good little missionary. He's not afraid to tell it like it is! :)