Monday, May 31, 2010

A New Car!!

Okay, we don't actually HAVE a new car, but now it's time to start SHOPPING for a new car.  The last time we bought a new car was in the year 2001, and after having twins, we decided that we had become a minivan family.  We got the most beautiful car - a 2001 Caravan.  I have LOVED this car.  The roomiest car ever, but still drives like a car rather than a big ol' SUV.  That car took us from one coast to another, more than once.  It has taken our family of four to a family of seven, with camping trips, family vacations, trips to the school, church, and the park.  You name it, that car has BEEN there for us! After 150,000 miles, it's still purring along and taking us where we need to be.  So, shopping for a NEW car doesn't even sound fun to me.  I want THIS one.  MINE.

Alas, it is time for a new car.  A seven passenger will no longer meet our needs.  But who wants a huge SUV which is difficult to park, or a very UNcool van??


So, what do I do?  I'm open for suggestions.  I love my Caravan.  There are other minivans out there that are eight passengers vans.  But they don't have a whole lot of space for our camping gear for our family trips.  And I'm thinking that we will be wanting to be able to tow trailers too.  So, maybe we need an SUV.  But the smaller 8 passenger SUV's don't have much cargo room either.  Could I really handle a Suburban or some other monster?  Certaninly, no big van.  I just don't think I'm there yet.


13 comments:

Cunningham Blog said...

My sister likes her Suburban. I have an Odyssey that seats 8 -- you'll have to check out the storage in the back and see if it works. Ours also has a stow-n-go for a little added cargo.

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Our Sienna tows trailers and has a good amount of room for luggage. We also have a car top for long trips, but the back is fairly big, alot bigger than the old sienna. We do like camping and have only used it to camp at Cherry Hill though. Rick wants an SUV for this reason. Good luck car hunting. It is definately not my favorite pass time.

Emma Jo said...

Hooray for new cars. I am absolutely no help on what to go for, maybe a limo? with driver?

Melissa said...

We are in the market also for a SUV and have done a ton of research. . .Honda Pilots have 8 seats but maybe small for your family. The other one that has great reviews is the Chevy Tahoe. . .not that much bigger than an SUV and it not as big as a Suburban. We haven't researched vans but basically any foreign car is your best bet. Good luck. . .I know how frustrating it is! Will wants a Jeep and I want a Pilot. . .not sure what we're gonna do!

Heidi said...

Hi, how fun for you!! (ha, ha) I agree a Pilot is a great car, but too small for your family needs and trips. What about a Ford Expedition? We love our Explorer, and the Expedition is a little bigger but not too big like some SUVs. It's nice having the cargo space when you need it, but being able to fold down the seats as well. Plus it comes with the towing hitch. Good luck deciding! Alot of members in our ward have one!

Matt & Andrea said...

Are you trying to say something?!

Valerie said...

Andrea - YES! Apparently I didn't do a very good job. . . hahaha

Heather said...

Congrats to you! Good luck in finding something you like! We HATE car shopping!! Good luck!

kirsten said...

heh! I THOUGHT that's what you were trying to say! Congrats! I can't believe you'll have as many kids as my mom... and twice as many as me!

I HATE SUV's. i would go van all the way, even if it meant full-sized. but the oddysey/sienna would probably work.

Rynell said...

I was wondering the same thing as Andrea. Announcement???

Tiffany said...

YAY!!! Congrats for BABY news!!!!

Liz said...

You'll have to go for a V8 SUV. Our Pilot is awesome, but using the back row doesn't leave much room. The Nissan 8 seaters have cargo room along with the Toyota one. Good luck!

Oh my, I just read the comments and realized what they're saying. CONGRATULATIONS! What exciting news. I can't wait to hear more.

Joel said...

Congratulations Valerie and Cannon. Logistics certainly change with a growing family-especially since everything is designed for the American compact family. I feel bad that we didn't connect before we moved across the country. We used our Odessy (8 passenger) with 4 kids in car seats and a 92lb black lab and it was tight! We bought a car topper but didn't end up using it because of the 40/60 split stow and go for the last row. If we have any more kiddos I think we're going to have to go for the recycled school bus. You might think about that option. Come stop and see us on your next trip to Annapolis. Hehe!