Thursday, November 6, 2008

A New President

Well, kids are smarter these days. And informed. We don't talk much about politics at our house (it makes me break out into a rash), so our kids haven't been exposed to much of it. Or so I thought. I went to vote early last week, and proudly wore my "I VOTED" sticker home. The kids don't miss a thing. Here's how one conversation went.

Jackson: Mom, why are you wearing that sticker?
Me: I voted today.
Jackson: Why?
Me: It's time to elect a new president. Of the United States. (I felt I needed to add this b/c in our house, a reference to "president" could be the president of the Church - the prophet.)
Jackson: (with a worried look) Why?? Did President Bushman die?!

On Election day, the questions and comments continued. I'm sad that I didn't write them all down cuz they were hilarious. Jordan was pretty excited about the whole thing.

Jordan: I'll be 11 next time we vote for a president.

The morning after elections, Jordan practically pops out of bed with his question:

Jordan: Who won???
Me: Obama.
Jordan: How do you know?
Me: (I show him the newspaper.)
Jordan: Oh, man! I wanted the OTHER guy!
Jackson: Me too! I wanted John McCain.
Me: You guys know who they are?
Jordan: Yeah. Most of the class wanted the other guy.

Then at dinner:

Jackson: Dad, Matthew said Obama wants EVERY day to be a school day except Sunday. Is that true?
Cannon: No. (It takes a minute to convince all the kids that they will NOT be going to school on Saturdays any time soon. Apparently, they had been pretty worried about this.)
Jackson: Tatum said Obama doesn't care if you kill babies. Is that true?
Cannon: (His eyes are popping out of head, and he sputters as he tries to come up with an answer! He never really came up with one. I filled in.)

Hmm. I think the boys are growing up fast. I'm going to have to start answering the hard questions!

14 comments:

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Those are some pretty hillarious, yet truthful and insightful statements. I am glad you wrote them down. So you won't forget and so we could enjoy them also.

Laura said...

You're right, kids are very smart and informed these days, aren't they...and they don't miss a thing!!! Your conversations sound like some that we've had at our house...including the one where Cannon's eyes were popping out of his head. Yes, I'm thinking the hard questions are coming too!

I love that you wrote all this down. Sooooo funny!

Heidi said...

I can totally relate. Although up here in liberal WA state, the reactions Tyler had at school were the opposite. When one of the kids on the bus heard that Tyler's parents voted for McCain, he started swearing and calling him names. He doesn't ride the bus very much anymore!

Angie said...

My boys had tons of questions and comments about the election also. I really amazed me with all they had to say and the funny things they said.

Suebee said...

Sarah said, "Don't those people voting for Obama know what he is going to do to our country?" I asked her what and she said, "I don't know." Spencer informed her, "Obama is going to raise our taxes and give Mom and Dad's money to the poor. He is also going to 'Make' the gay people get married." Once we stopped laughing we had a little bit of explaining to do. Sarah still wants us to claim to be poor so we can get some of the rich people's money.

Melissa said...

Ha ha ha!!! That's awesome but crazy at the same time. I can't believe Jackson said that about babies! It's amazing what our kids remember.

Matt & Andrea said...

I love that Jackson thought it was President Bushman. At least he knows his heritage!

Emily said...

Yes, we also had the abortion discussion. We also talked about illegal immigration, gun rights, the war in Iraq, and taxes. Although I did avoid the subject of gay marriage. I'm not quite ready to explain that one. At Austin's school, they actually have mock voting booths so all the kids got to cast a vote. His homework was to write the pros and cons for each candidate. It's so hard to admit that they are growing up and that they have to be exposed to some of the tough issues we face. It makes me sad to see him losing his innocence.

Emma Jo said...

What the heck are the kids at school exposed to at home?! Haley came home saying the same thing about Obama. She said that kids in her class said he was a baby killer. Geez.
On a side note, they will be 11 next go round? That is a scary thought...our kids are too young to grow up and thats that.

Rynell said...

My daughter came home from school and told me that she voted for McCain in her school's mock election because Obama hates babies.

There you have it.

gina said...

My favorite is - "did President Bushman die?". Classic. Good luck with the hard questions-We've done one already, and Brady is coming up soon on his turn. (It wasn't so tough...then again, Weston did it all.) -but it wasn't so tough on him, they went for a walk, talked, and after about a week, Jacob would look at me again!!

Alona said...

I was surprised how much my first graders knew about both candidates. We had our own election and McCain won 11-7. After Obama won, one of my girls came in all upset because her mom told her that Obama hates all white people and that he was going to kill them! Good grief!

Susan and Scott said...

Hey guys, I saw your site on Joel's blog and wanted to say hi. Jordan and Jackson are the spittin' image of dad.
God bless.
Scott

Shirece said...

Hi Valerie,
My name is Shirece and I am Sharon's sister. Since you left a comment on Sharon's blog I entered you in my drawing for a free design of a Christmas card and you are the winner. Congratulations!!1 Here are the my prices for printing if you choose to print through me 1.(30) 4"x 9" $12.00,
2.(30)5"x7" $20 3.(27) postcards
4" x 6" $8.00. I can really do any size; if you want a differnt size just let me know and I can figure out printing costs. Here is my email address. If you want to just send me a family picture or whatever you want on the card and any text then I can get working on the design of your card. shirecesorensen@hotmail.com Hope to hear from you soon.